[Coco] megaread benchmarking

Boisy G. Pitre boisy at tee-boy.com
Thu May 20 14:52:35 EDT 2010

On May 20, 2010, at 1:11 PM, Roger Taylor wrote:

> It doesn't matter how close I get to that figure... you guys have it out for me, and I'm really ultimately ok with that because it makes me grin more than I normally do.
> As for me, I really don't waste time with worrying about what Cloud-9 is actually doing or how it's not affecting my own services at all.

No, it really isn't like that at all.

I sincerely tried to build a bridge with you yesterday by making a generous offer: I buy your pak, develop the SuperDriver driver, then give you the resulting product free of charge. I would assume all the risk; you would sell an extra pak and get a free product if I completed it.  In all honesty, I can still do it, but I wanted to show you that I was willing to work with you directly.  Instead, you chose to pass on my offer.  Over the years, I've purchased multiple products from you, but in all of the years that Cloud-9 has been in business, you have never purchased one single product from Cloud-9.  Why is that?  Is it a matter of pride?  Not Invented Here Syndrome?

I've watched you on this list for months talking about the drive pak, CoCoNet, etc, and using superlatives like "best" to describe it.  I get the opportunity at the fest to see one first hand, then run a benchmark and post the results. Your response is to blow a gasket and claiming that we are out to get you. Come on dude. You can't be naive enough to think that at some point, megaread timings for your pak wouldn't appear on this list, do you?  If it wasn't me posting it, it would be someone else.  How would you have reacted then?  A lot different, I suspect.  But because of my association with Cloud-9, every time I post something that is even remotely critiquing in nature, you claim I am beating up on you.

I think this benchmark thread is about done.  If you didn't know before, you now know exactly what throughput your pak is capable of.  The only person you have to beat now is yourself.  You know what the top performance mark is, so you can go after it all you like, and more power to you. People who will buy your pak for its form factor and small storage are going to buy it anyway.  People who will buy the SuperIDE are going to buy it for throughput and the ease of flashable ROM images.  It's that simple.

> I'm working on a new NitrOS-9 driver set now for the native sector disk format but I won't rush anything for you.  I have customers to take care of first.
>
> Btw, what are your megawrite numbers?   ;)
> Benchmarking only one aspect of a pak's usage?

I don't know, but a megawrite is a trivial program to write.  While megaread is still a useful and relevant utility, I will agree with you that it could use an update: a built in timer for better time reporting accuracy and write benchmarking would be nice.

I'm going to say this one more time: I am NOT out to get you.  Let's agree to put aside our past animosity and find ways to work together.
--
Boisy G. Pitre
http://www.tee-boy.com/