[Coco] DriveWire 4 beta

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Wed May 19 19:48:51 EDT 2010

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 7:24 PM, William Schaub <wschaub at steubentech.com> wrote:

> Just got around to trying it out today. Thank you very much for your hard
> work on this project.
>
> This (at least for me) has to be the best thing ever to happen to the coco.

Thanks for the kind words :)

> I'm not able to pull up the web interface on port 6800 though. I'm using
> windows vista. everything else works great though.

The web interface is not included in recent versions.  I've been
making changes and adding things to the core server so often that at a
certain point I stopped trying to keep Jim's web interface in sync and
just focused on making the dw command interface as versatile as
possible (it is a lot simpler to write a CLI :).

You can telnet to port 6800, however, and from there you can enter the
same 'dw' commands that can be used on the OS-9 command line.  This is
handy if you need to change disks, etc from DECB or any other time an
OS-9 prompt isn't available.

The long term plan is to have the GUI/Web interface use this port to
control the server.  This allows GUIs to be written in any
language/for any platform and also allows the GUI to be run on a
different machine than the server is running on.  This is important
because DriveWire runs well on tiny embedded devices with no display
of their own.  You could have a small dedicated device running
DriveWire (maybe even living inside the CoCo or in a ROM pak) and then
run the GUI on your modern PC when you needed it.

> I even used that supercomm program to make a few posts on a telnet BBS I've
> joined recently (The Holodeck).
>
> Now that I have a way to use os9 from telnet and actually be able to read
> the screen. (I used an apple composite monitor up till this point) I would
> like to see if I can make UUCPbb work.

Let me know if you want any help with that, I'm interested in UUCPbb
myself.  Are there still UUCP networks running?  Maybe we should setup
our own, running entirely on CoCos :)