[Coco] Preserving old CoCo diskettes...

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Wed May 19 02:05:25 EDT 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 4:49 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 May 2010, Roger Taylor wrote:
>>At 02:04 PM 5/18/2010, you wrote:
>>>Roger, why not contribute that code to the nitros9 project?
>>
>>I didn't write an rz/sz protocol that could work at 115200 or 230400
>>bps.  My point was that if you can't get those old programs to work,
>>move on to a new idea using the least number of chip signals as
>>possible.  Hence, a software solution.
>
> rzsz is a separate problem, which is why I mentioned other protocols as being
> faster, much faster.
>
> Since I compiled the rzsz you are, or have played with, I can't argue that
> its architecturally wrong, it is, and that means you are limited to a hair
> over 700 cps on a 6309 machine, and the middle 500's on a 6809 machine.
> It is, in the face of poor line quality, absolutely bulletproof though.  It
> just keeps on hammering until the checksums do match.  The problem is that it
> builds the checksum one &^% char at a time, so that whole loop has to execute
> for every incoming byte.  Grrr.

Running some tests using rz over a DriveWire 4 virtual serial port
reveals that it can maintain ~1100 cps on my 6309.  Although DW
provides some alternate ways to transfer data that are much faster, if
zmodem is a requirement, you might want to consider using the
bitbanger+dw4 instead of the 6551, as strange as that may seem.