[Coco] Preserving old CoCo diskettes...

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue May 18 16:49:44 EDT 2010

On Tuesday 18 May 2010, Roger Taylor wrote:
>At 02:04 PM 5/18/2010, you wrote:
>>Roger, why not contribute that code to the nitros9 project?
>
>I didn't write an rz/sz protocol that could work at 115200 or 230400
>bps.  My point was that if you can't get those old programs to work,
>move on to a new idea using the least number of chip signals as
>possible.  Hence, a software solution.

rzsz is a separate problem, which is why I mentioned other protocols as being
faster, much faster.

Since I compiled the rzsz you are, or have played with, I can't argue that
its architecturally wrong, it is, and that means you are limited to a hair
over 700 cps on a 6309 machine, and the middle 500's on a 6809 machine.
It is, in the face of poor line quality, absolutely bulletproof though.  It
just keeps on hammering until the checksums do match.  The problem is that it
builds the checksum one &^% char at a time, so that whole loop has to execute
for every incoming byte.  Grrr.

>I've found it a much better experience to just mount remote .dsk
>images and have the files sitting right there in native DOS or OS-9
>format already good to run or copy.

That sounds like a better idea, but I'm not sure I know how.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)