[Coco] Documentation of "complex" artifacting (i.e. more, than black/white/blue/red)?

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Tue May 25 00:15:34 EDT 2010

John,

While I couldn't find anything regarding the PMODE 4 screen, I did find
the HSCREEN 4 "more colors" article. It was entitled "Breaking the
Four-Color Barrier" by Rusty Cutchin (October 1988, page 51), and it
detailed how to get more than four colors on the HSCREEN 4 (640x192)
graphics screen.

Sadly, while the writer briefly mentions the PMODE 4 artifacting colors,
his dithering/pattern technique is meant for the RGB monitor. He doesn't
realize how close he is to unlocking the 256 color mode. I remember as a
kid playing with the dithering; I never thought of using the greyscale
on a composite set (though I had both the CM-8 and a TV hooked up). Its
such a frustrating thought!

-- Andrew L. Ayers, Glendale, Arizona