[Coco] NitrOS-9 V3.3.0 and DriveWire

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 15:40:25 EDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 3:27 PM, John W. Linville
<linville at tuxdriver.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 02:19:12PM -0400, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
>
>> I see some possible solutions:
>>
>> 1.  Additional people skilled with *nix makefiles and OS-9 get
>> involved to help maintain all these disks
>> 2.  We support only the most common configurations and provide
>> instructions on how those with other systems can adapt the images to
>> their systems.
>> 3.  We leave it to each user to get into the CVS and make their own
>> disks (it's really not that hard guys).
>>
>> Other solutions? Saying "I want this version" doesn't solve the problem at hand.
>
> I dunno if you were replying directly to me or not, but just in
> case... :-)

No, not directly to your post at all.  Kind of wish I hadn't posted
anything, having a bad day at work and a little too on edge!

> My impression is that keeping the option to do what is being done today
> amounts to a copy and forget operation.  If keeping such an option
> in the build script is a support burden then either ignore me or
> enlighten me -- I can handle some Makefile work if that is a problem.

It's possible to copy whats there now and save it, but there are some
issues.  NitrOS9 gets new features and bugfixes fairly often and the
frozen copies wouldn't benefit from this.  Even some of the software
that has been around forever (like the Sierra games) has little bugs
and might get fixed someday, so a static copy is less than ideal.

I think (I may be speaking out of turn) that if you wanted to take on
some of the work in maintaining all these disk images, which mostly
means working with makefiles, that it would be welcomed.  I am not
very good with makefiles myself and pretty loaded with other CoCo
stuff during the free time I get, but I could try to help too.