[Coco] Appologies

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Fri Mar 26 10:43:56 EDT 2010

Jason, are you married? If not, you'll probably stay that way. If you are, how long? If you take this same attitude you won't be married much longer. Just because you disagree with the majority (or they disagree with you) doesn't necessarily make you right or wrong, it just means you disagree. Sometimes you just need to "agree to disagree" and let it go. Looks to me like that's the point that was reached. I just skimmed through most of those posts. I saw valid points on both sides -- just no consensus. I find that often happens when programmers talk. It's worse than car guys claiming how their brand is best and the rest are junk! Most of the time that's a bit tongue-in-cheek, but programmers get SERIOUS!! ;>

So don't let a disagreement ruin the CoCo experience or the list. There will always be people who disagree with you. You'll learn to tell who you can have a heated debate with and who you can't. Lots of personalities everywhere -- you learn some and respectfully decline to reply to their remarks (a polite way of saying ignore them -- some of them will be ignoring you too, by the way!). Sometimes you do have to "bite your tongue" when replying.

People forget that even an old fashioned mail list like this is really the same as talking in a room full of people with similar interests but flew in from all over the world. Sort of like the hospitality room at a CoCoFest. The internet insulates a lot, but over a day or two everyone in the "room" knows EXACTLY what was said, unlike a physical room -- there's even a transcript (not that it's always used...)! So there's a delay in "hearing", but the hearing is more exact. There are no "tones"  or body language to go along with the hearing, so that can make it more difficult. We all have different levels of writing too, and it's not always easy to convey precisely what you mean in words. I'm pretty sure you know all this, but we ALL need a reminder sometimes!

------------
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 21:35:09 +1000
From: "Jason Law" <jmlaw at iprimus.com.au>

Just wanted to sincerely appologise for being disrespectful in general
yesterday.

While I may have felt I had reason to raise certain issues, I certainly
didn't go about it in a very constructive way.

I was considering leaving the CoCo community and just going my own way, so
after the intitial response of feedback I received, I thought why not, let
it out and see what happens, then make a decision.

I've decided to just fall back to the website I've setup and limit my
community contact to there, even if it ends up 0, I'll still be doing my
programming :D

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"