[Coco] 2 x 3.5 Drives on CoCo

Jason Law jmlaw at iprimus.com.au
Sun Mar 14 00:43:53 EST 2010

Hi George,

I think I know the ones you mean.

I've decided to take the power from the PC right next to where my disk
drives are.

I was going to plug a female addapter into one of the larger male power
plugs but your idea reminded me of a similar connector.

I guess you'd call them a two way connector. They're these little clip
things that have a single piece of metal inside with two slits in it.

You lay the wires over each slit, close it up and squeeze it with plies
which cuts into each wire to make the connection. Then a platic clip keeps
it closed.

I'll use those to 'tap' the power from one of the power cables, probably the
one I use for the CD-ROM.

That way I don't lose a connector to send power to the floppies.

Also, I've worked out what to use for the cases. There's these things you
can buy (no idea what they're called) that allows you to swap out hard
drives in a PC and there's a plastic case you put the hard drive in. This
then slides into/out of a holder thing that's mounted in a free 5 1/4 bay.

I used to use them when I had one PC, but over subsequent upgrades have
remove the hard drives to put into other PCs.

The only real modification I had to make was to remove the handle from the
hard drive case, grind it flat, sand it, and file it out so the 3 1/2 floppy
will mount flush to the front.

There's plenty of ventilation, the drive fits snuggly, and the screw mount
holes are all there.

The 10-12 cable twist works perfectly for two drives with no drive selects.

Thanks guys for all your help, I'll share some pics of them once I'm
finished.