[Coco] DW4 beta 1.4

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 11:33:51 EST 2010

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 11:09 AM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
> On Saturday 13 March 2010, Jason Law wrote:
>>I've had a bit of a look at it, so it's all Nitros9 yeah?
>>
>>Unfortunately I'm not an OS-9/Nitros9 user, but I'm sure there's plenty who
>>are :)
>>
>>I double-clicked the DriveWire.jar file as mention in the readme, but
>>nothing happened.
>>
>>So I checked which progam is asscoiated with .jar and it's Java(TM)
>> Platform (SE) Binary.
>>
>>It might sound like a numbnuts question, but for us less Java oriented
>> folk, is there something we need to donwload to run it?
>>
>>Also, will you still be updating DriveWire3 for DECB users?
>>
>>If DriveWire 3 could include ftp access, that'd be great!!! :D
>>
>>I sent Boisy an email regarding this, understanably he's busy.
>>
>>Sure sounds like a great product :)

The speed problems with FTDI controllers and the fix are well
documented by FTDI themselves:
http://www.ftdichip.com/Documents/AppNotes/AN232B-04_DataLatencyFlow.pdf

The fix suggested within seems to resolve the issue completely for me.

My experience with Prolific adapters is limited to the one I own.  It
is a pl2303 and actually works very well with DriveWire 3 and 4...
except that it will cause my Windows 7 system to blue screen after
several hours of operation.  Seems to be a driver issue because the
adapter works without any issue on linux and OS X systems.  In fact
it's been running the coco web server 24/7 for over a week now (linux
server).

I have heard the horror stories about Prolific adapters.  Maybe DW
keeps it busy enough to stay in sync.  Or maybe I just have the only
one that works :)