[Coco] DW4 beta 1.4

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 09:14:41 EST 2010

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 9:00 AM, Jason Law <jmlaw at iprimus.com.au> wrote:

> I've had a bit of a look at it, so it's all Nitros9 yeah?

Yes

> Unfortunately I'm not an OS-9/Nitros9 user, but I'm sure there's plenty who
> are :)
>
> I double-clicked the DriveWire.jar file as mention in the readme, but
> nothing happened.
>
> So I checked which progam is asscoiated with .jar and it's Java(TM)
> Platform
> (SE) Binary.
>
> It might sound like a numbnuts question, but for us less Java oriented
> folk,
> is there something we need to donwload to run it?

You need a Java JRE.  Most systems will have this already, but if you do
not, you can get one from http://java.sun.com   Check the included
documentation and the wiki for hints on how to get things working, or feel
free to email me directly if you need more help.

> Also, will you still be updating DriveWire3 for DECB users?

No.  Very few of the new features in DW4 can be used in DECB (or any other
BASIC/DOS), and DW3 works very well for that environment.  I'd be willing to
look at fixing any bugs that turn up, but I won't be adding any new features
there.   You might want to look at Roger's CocoNet, it seems to provide some
nice features for DECB users.

The source is available on sourceforge, if anyone who cares to can add
things I'm sure Boisy would consider including improvements.

> If DriveWire 3 could include ftp access, that'd be great!!! :D

This is currently supported in DW4, but it will not be supported in DW3
directly (unless someone else feels like adding it :).  There are ways to
mount FTP sites as local devices under many operating systems (FUSE in Linux
for example).  This would be one way to use FTP with DW3.

I sent Boisy an email regarding this, understanably he's busy.