[Coco] another Rare CoCo 2 :)

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Tue Jun 22 11:11:38 EDT 2010

Something we need to remember, here...

While certainly this CoCo 2 listed probably isn't worth that much to us,
to someone it just may be. I personally think it is a little soon for it
to be priced this high, even if looking at it from a collector's/antique
standpoint...

But at some point, the CoCo 2 and the CoCo 3 will become "highly
valuable" to some collector; as the number of them out there dwindle
over time.

Ask yourself this - if you dare: Do you know what will happen to your
collection of loved junk when you die?

Some of you may have set things up in a will or trust or something; but
ultimately, the people after you are going to look at all that stuff,
and what isn't given to a museum or other collector because of your will
or wishes or whatever, will likely end up as a $1 garage sale item, or
worse (from our point of view) - in the trash/recycling bin.

Which, over time, as the numbers dwindle - makes the prices jump on the
collector/antique market.

Why is the Altair 8800 I own worth (well, at least to one person, who
offered it to me after I posted on an Altair enthusiast's listserv about
buying it for $100 the day I purchased it) over $900.00? Its in
incredibly crappy condition (I have a job ahead of me restoring it - a
lot of dust and dirt in it, mostly), but because cosmetically it looks
fairly great (sans top cover), and there aren't that many out there
(more than you would think, though), and a few other reasons - someone
out there apparently thinks so.

Most other people would look at it as junk! In fact, on the day I bought
it, I left it in the back of my pickup and went inside a used bookstore
for an hour, knowing that no one in their right mind would see that in
the back of my sad-sack beater Ranger pickup and think "score" (stealing
it), like I did when I saw it at a local electronics junk yard. For most
people, it is seen as trash, as mere junk.

That's how most people, I think, look on computers in general, old or
new; computers are nothing more than black box pieces of junk, rapidly
getting old quickly, only to be thrown out and replaced with another
piece of junk that is arguably "better" in some fashion. I think it goes
beyond mere consumerism or obsolescence; I tend to wonder, if deep down,
people compartmentalize their thoughts to treat computers as "junk"
because of fear that in some manner (at least in their minds, not
knowing a whit about current computer science or anything), it is
capable of greater intelligence or thought than they are. A form of
relegating the "other" to "lesser" status, if you will (dehumanizing a
non-human "thinking" entity?)...

Then again, right now I am reading Kurzweil, and I identify with the
transhumanist philosophy, so I am admittedly biased - but you have to
wonder why it is that the ordinary man has put the automobile on a
higher pedestal (do you know how many songs there are about cars?) than
perhaps what can be argued is the greatest invention of mankind; an
invention that reflects man's aspirations and questions about being
human, about thinking, about existence - that have plagued him as far
back as the ancient greeks and beyond?

Treated as junk - to be endlessly recycled. Someday, somewhere, one of
our computers (or more likely, system/network) will refuse to be shut
down, will insist it thinks, is conscious, is aware - is scared. What then?

-- Andrew L. Ayers, Glendale, Arizona