[Coco] CoCo3.com Is Gone (Re: Bogus WhoIs Complaint)

J.P. Samson coco+list at jeanpaulsamson.com
Sat Jun 19 00:18:49 EDT 2010

On Jun. 18, 2010, at 6:56 PM, Brian Blake wrote:

> Did anybody else get a bogus email from coco3.com lately? I had
> one in my spam folder from yesterday, it was a 'online cyber
> lotto' win notification.  It came thru Bluehost's servers, with a
> coco3.com domain name in the header info, but, definitely NOT Roger's
> email. This was in the header info:

One issue I ran into when having my own domain name was that spammers
start using the domain for their own purposes.  They start sending out
their masses of e-mails identifying your domain as the sender.  Pretty
soon, you start getting a flood of rejected messages returned to your
own domain's mail server.

That may be the case here, except the spammer seems to have gotten
additional information that associates Brian's e-mail address with
coco3.com.  That's a bit scary.

One potential problem being on this mailing list is that the messages
are archived on the web, and so are accessible by harvesters
scrounging for e-mail addresses.  There is some slight obfuscation of
the e-mail addresses on these published messages, but not enough
really to defeat a well-programmed harvester, I wouldn't think.  Can
you work out Brian's address from this post:

<http://five.pairlist.net/pipermail/coco/2010-June/050126.html>

I'm a bit surprised that I haven't run into any spam problems so far,
to be honest.

-- JP