[Coco] bogus WhoIs complaint

Christian Lesage hyperfrog at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 17:15:32 EDT 2010

Brian,

With all due respect, I also see flaws in your own argumentation.

> 1. Just because you have a website does not mean you are a broadcaster. The
> vast majority of websites tailor the content to the regular visitors (i.e.:
> coco3.com).

While I agree with the second sentence, any web site can potentially be
viewed by anybody with an Internet connection, just like a radio station
can be received by anybody with a radio receiver (within a certain
area). All broadcasters target a specific audience. It doesn't make them
less of a broadcaster for all that. And a web site with public
contents is not different from a radio station, not matter how large or
small its targetted audience is.

> And if you don't like the content, you don't have to go there.

So if I don't like neo-nazi hate propaganda, I just don't have to go
visit the sites where this kind of crap is promoted? Anybody can spread
any kind of "mental viruses" to the world in the name of freedom of
speech? I do not agree. And many countries do not. In France and
Germany, for instance, it is a crime to negate the holocaust.

> sorry, nobody has a RIGHT
> to NOT be offended.

Yes we do have those rights in a certain extent. Everybody has the right
not to be discriminated, ridiculized or ostracized based on his/her
gender, skin colour, or religious beliefs. Freedom of speech is *not*
unlimited.

Don't get me wrong here. I don't think coco3.com is offensive or
prejudicial in any way to anybody. Nor do I think that freedom of speech
is a bad thing and has to be limited as much as possible. But I think it
comes with a responsibility, and in my opinion, it is just normal that a
web site operator provides valid contact information so that they can be
contacted in the event that they publish something that is prejudicial
to other people or bluntly illegal.

> 2. Just because you have a website does not automatically mean you should
> have your private contact info opened up to the world.

Well, maybe not, but at least you have to minimally provide valid
contact information to the entity that hosts your web site. Note that I
never said that this information must be public. I said I didn't think
you can avoid it. Good for you if you can.

Cheers,

Christian