[Coco] VCC1.41

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 11:30:20 EDT 2010

On Monday 07 June 2010, Frank Swygert wrote:
>I suppose I have to agree with Aaron on that. I was more interested in a
> "user" system than learning the command line stuff. Mint just comes with
> everything, even the most common proprietary drivers and codecs needed,
> so it's more "plug and play" than any of the other distros I know of. I
> set it up on my wife's computer first. She's not really a computer
> person, so if she could get through using it, I know it's "bomb proof". I
> did have to do a little command line tinkering, but that was to get a
> couple programs running that I wanted to play with. I had a few problems
> getting printing and some network stuff set up, but that was mostly me
> learning how Linux worked and how Linux and Windows communicated with
> each other.
>
>I have a blog at
> http://newtolinuxmint.blogspot.com/2009/11/first-post.html concerning my
> intro to Mint. I have some about my wifes computer, and later about my
> media center computer. I replaced my DVD player with a computer and love
> it! I even have the wife trained on using it!
>
>Oh, I do mention the CoCo in the first blog entry.
>
>---------
>
>Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 08:05:02 +0000 (UTC)
>From:wdg3rd at comcast.net
>
>----- "Aaron Wolfe"<aawolfe at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> >  If you just want to use your computer, Mint, Ubuntu, SUSE, Fedora are
>> >  all fine choices.
>> >  If you really want to learn Linux, I'd strongly suggest you do not
>> >  use
>> >  a GUI for at least a year or two.
>> >  Debian and Slackware are good learning distros, especially if you
>> >  leave out the GUI.
>
>Hadn't run across the Mint distro yet.  I'll go look it it up.  My grub
> list might get uglier.

Mine already is, but sadly the mint 8 I installed a while back apparently
self destructed at one of the updates, and will not boot now.  As I keep
that stuff on its own drive, I should grab a Mint 9 and over-write it.  I am
currently running MDV 2010 64 bit, but IMNSHO, 64 bit isn't quite ready for
prime time. 32 bit fedora 13 will shortly be installed in the first drive
again.

Not running as root now, I find I'll need to piddle with the perms on
/dev/ttyS0 or 1 before I can talk to my coco3.  And the help available for
such from mandriva leaves much to be desired.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)