[Coco] VCC1.41

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Mon Jun 7 07:21:29 EDT 2010

I suppose I have to agree with Aaron on that. I was more interested in a "user" system than learning the command line stuff. Mint just comes with everything, even the most common proprietary drivers and codecs needed, so it's more "plug and play" than any of the other distros I know of. I set it up on my wife's computer first. She's not really a computer person, so if she could get through using it, I know it's "bomb proof". I did have to do a little command line tinkering, but that was to get a couple programs running that I wanted to play with. I had a few problems getting printing and some network stuff set up, but that was mostly me learning how Linux worked and how Linux and Windows communicated with each other.

I have a blog at http://newtolinuxmint.blogspot.com/2009/11/first-post.html concerning my intro to Mint. I have some about my wifes computer, and later about my media center computer. I replaced my DVD player with a computer and love it! I even have the wife trained on using it!

Oh, I do mention the CoCo in the first blog entry.

---------

Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 08:05:02 +0000 (UTC)
From:wdg3rd at comcast.net

----- "Aaron Wolfe"<aawolfe at gmail.com>  wrote:

> >  If you just want to use your computer, Mint, Ubuntu, SUSE, Fedora are
> >  all fine choices.
> >  If you really want to learn Linux, I'd strongly suggest you do not
> >  use
> >  a GUI for at least a year or two.
> >  Debian and Slackware are good learning distros, especially if you
> >  leave out the GUI.

Hadn't run across the Mint distro yet.  I'll go look it it up.  My grub list might get uglier.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"