[Coco] scary old code

Fedor Steeman petrander at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 15:59:43 EDT 2010

I agree that the environment on modern computers is hardly as inviting to
starting to program as it was in the eighties. Pointing and clicking makes
lifes easier, but does not leave the user with the impression that one can
actually WRITE down a sequence of instructions for the computer to execute
whenever desired.

Still there is Scratch from MIT that is pretty cool. Anyone try that?
http://scratch.mit.edu/

I already have my kids started programming with that. It has its limits, but
it conveys all the important fundamental programming concepts like loops,
variables, objects, etc. What's more: You get really quickly instantaneous
results, which gives a highly motivating immediate visual feedback.

Once they are old enough I could try to introduce them something like
BlitzMax, which is a cross-platform compiler for a Basic dialect called
BlitzBasic which is pretty straightforward, specialized on graphics effects
and also yields immediate results.

Cheers,
Fedor