[Coco] OS-9 Floppy / Printer configuration?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 09:48:00 EDT 2010

On Tuesday, July 27, 2010 09:14:17 am Chad H did opine:

> Thanks you're your help with the floppy drive config/OS-9 issue
> everyone, sorry if there was any confusion.  I was finally able to
> strip down NitrOS9 enough using SAVE to extract the modules and OS9Gen
> to get what I needed back into a new boot disk (which was DS 360k) and
> copied over the entire DeskMate files to that disk.  Only other issue,
> albeit a small one, was that deskmate refused to load at bootup.  SHELL
> had to load first before DeskMate would load properly....weird.  I
> checked the original DeskMate disk and this wasn't the case with it,
> shell didn't load until you exited DeskMate.  No biggy, I just type a
> command once at the OS9 prompt to load it.
>
> Now....I will see if I can figure out something on the Printer
> driver...should be a bit easier since I got this far on NitrOS9 I hope.
> Setting the Baud rate at 1200 should be easy I'm thinking but I would
> like to have the driver set a initialization ASCII string to the
> printer (for CRLF, etc.) before it prints....if this is even possible.
>
> - Chad e

Yes, that is one of the beauty's of the *os9 way.  The descriptor can be
set to output both a linefeed and a carriage return at the end of the line
if the printer requires it.  ISTR you can also set the page length such
that a FormFeed is output on line xx, which will cause the printer to
advance to TOF (top of form) on the next page of paper.  I can recall doing
printouts of stuff I was writing, and using that to keep the 'pages' from
getting out of time with the tractor feed perforations on an Xerox 1650ro
printer I still have but cannot get ribbon cartridges for any more.  Its
strike on the daisy wheel just shatters the ribbon of the 15 year old
ribbons I have.

Guard that old HP-540 well, most newer printers do not know what to do with
plain old ascii.  When I needed a printer for my coco3 a couple of years
ago, all I could find that was black & white and cheap, was Brothers little
$120 laser, so in order to print from the coco3, I send the listing to /p
in the usual way, but at 9600 baud, which is fed to an FTDI 232 to USB
convertor, then up the cables to this machine, where it is captured by a
script I wrote, then through cups for rasterising, and that data then sent
back to the Brother laser sitting on top of the coco3's desk, on the same
usb extension cable & hub.  It works fine except I have to use the tuneport
facility to actually get 9600 baud as the printer drivers default at 'xmode
/p bau=6' is about 15 kilobaud and the FTDI serial to USB device gets
confused.  It is 20x faster too, as that printer is a 22 ppm printer where
the xerox, at 40cps, is about 1 page a minute.  However, my 'end of
document' detector in the script is 3 consecutive attempts to read data
timing out and coming back empty, before the script hands the captured file
over to cups to process and print, so the printer doesn't start its warmup
cycle till about 4 seconds after the prompt in that shell comes back.  It
works, so that lag is a shrug.