[Coco] OS-9 Floppy / Printer configuration?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 23:49:12 EDT 2010

On Monday, July 26, 2010 11:33:19 pm Chad H did opine:

> Update...  I went back and added the SHELL to the OS9Gen and it finally
> booted.  DeskMate did load from this NitrOS9.  However, it acted like
> there was no joystick attached.  Which NitrOS9 module deals with
> joysticks? - Chad

Both sysgo and shell need to be in the assigned cmds directory of the boot
disk, they do not need to be in the bootfile itself, sysgo itself is a one
time executable and is not needed ever again until the next reboot.  Shell
also can be loaded as needed, at some expense of load speed.  Most do not
add it to the bootfile.

Rel, Krn, boot are also not part of the os9 bootfile, but reside in track 34
of the written disk, and it is this track which is loaded in its entirety
when you type 'dos'ENTER.'  These 3 modules are also level specific in that
level 1 and level 2 versions do not work together.

As for the joystick, I could be mistaken but I believe that comes from an
.sb module, probably called something like joydrv.sb, and which IIRC
becomess a subroutine loaded by VTIO, but there are many of those for
various sorts of those hardware accessories.  So read the docs, or the
src's, to see which one you actually need for your 'joystick'.  The only
one of those I'm familiar with is the one for a serial mouse, driven by, in
my case, and extra set of chips for a second rs-232 port in my own Deluxe
RS-232 pack, and of no use to you.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)