[Coco] scary old code

Brett Gordon beretta42 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 06:59:12 EDT 2010

I remember writing basic on the CoCo.  I was too poor/isolated to "buy"
software, so I had to write it all myself.  I remember some basic games I
wrote that were literally 20-30 pages look in print.  No comments, lots of
gotos, and lots of variables with *descriptive names* like "a1", "a2" and
the such.  I remember the beauty of "TRON" and "TRACE" and "EDIT".  I
remember the disappointment I felt when my new PC-XT's GW basic was just as
slow as my CoCo2, and had less features.

It's interesting to point out that many old forth's have 1/2 of the entire
block memory (AKA disk sectors) set aside for commenting code.  Many
fancy-pants block editors would display each code block with it's
coresponding comment block.

--
Brett M. Gordon,
beretta42 at gmail.com