[Coco] scary old code

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Fri Jul 23 03:54:36 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 07:18:59PM -0700, Wayne Campbell wrote:
> You are correct, Bob. However, as I was working on my CoCo3 at the time,
> trying to maintain 2 different files was difficult.

Yeah, you need some good tools to make that work.  diff and patch,
maybe.  Unfortunately, machines with diff and patch don't have
languages so limited by source-file size that you'd need a commented
version and an uncommented version.

Or, do all your work with a commented version, and automatically
generate an uncommented version to feed to your compiler/interpeter,
which is another option that the CoCo interpeters wouldn't make easy.

I kind of wish we had a version of BASIC-09 that was strictly a
non-interactive compiler.  That would make it a lot easier to layer on
pre-processors (like include or m4), comment strippers, etc onto the
language.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA