[Coco] drivewire suggestions

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 21:41:27 EDT 2010

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010, Bob Devries wrote:

> [dons flame proof jacket]
>
> While I understand that the drivewire server was originally written
> exclusively for the Coco, it seems to me that it could be made more
> versatile if it were capable of handling disk images of various sector
> sizes.
>
> This would make it usable with other computers, provided that
> client-side drivers could be written for those computers.

I was thinking about what it would take to network an Apple IIe from DW.
The common super-serial card can do 57.6 k baud for sure and perhaps 115.
The IIGS should be capable of 230, since native localtalk transport
operates at that speed.

Something tells me that the game port on a IIe can be bit-banged
considerably faster, but it's been a while.

I think the sector size issue can be worked around with deblocking code in
the clientside driver.

Steve