[Coco] An 8-Slot Multi-Pak Design for my Color Computer Friends

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sun Jul 4 18:09:31 EDT 2010

First

A huge mistake in not buffering the data bus on the main board. If you are running a stock
Coco3, you do run the risk of damaging the MC6809E and the HD6309E if the board
becomes detached while powered up.

Second

why the dip switches on the Control and clock lines. A wrong setting on the dip switches and
you have a nonfunctioning board that can lead to frustration.

Third

What is the function of Q1?

Fourth

Your ground plane on the top and bottom are basically floating planes that are tied at but just
a few spots. You have all your locic tied to GND1 and then this large plane on both sides is
GND. You also have fingers that are floating that is bad for noise immunity. Either use one
ground or tie them in a star pattern and eliminate the floating fingers.

just a few things I see wrong or bothersome.

By the way I have a degree in Electrical Engineering and have 23 yrs experience in PC layout
and design of portable electronics. SO these questions do come from someone that has
experience and questions about the design.

james