[Coco] OT Re: The CoCo is alive and well, but not here. (Bit.Listserv.CoCo was original post)

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Tue Jan 26 16:39:40 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 09:13:52AM -0800, Stephen H. Fischer wrote:
> What I think has happened is with the ending of Usenet support by some big
> ISP's, the propagation of messages has become uncertain.

I believe there was an article on Slashdot this summer that said that
verison was blocking NNTP.

> So there may now be several (many) Usenet islands that only exchange
> messages between themselves and not one Usenet as in the past where most
> messages were available on all Usenet feeds.

That seems to be what's happening.

> But perhaps ISP's like EarthLink (One of the biggest) are operating with no
> connection to bitnet at all and also could discontinue the news group at
> any time.

"Bitnet", as a seperate network, went away a long time ago, before the
CoCo list died the spam-death.  All that's left are conventional list
servers and list->news gateways.  From what I understand, the death of
bitnet was not something to mourn... ;-)

> It would be interesting to hear if anyone not on EarthLink received my
> bit.listserv.coco post.

I got it.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org