[Coco] princeton listserver status?

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Mon Jan 25 09:58:45 EST 2010

Bob Devries wrote:
> Does anyone know if the listserver at Princeton is still alive?

I posted something with a little more precise a few years ago, and this
is from memory.  My original post had web links for reference.

The listserver is probably alive.

The COCO list is no longer active per Princeton's publicly posted policy.

That policy requires that all active lists have a Princeton faculty or
student sponsor.  Sometime after the wide open mailing list got overrun
with spam, someone at Princeton noticed that the COCO list did not have
a sponsor and turned it off.

The mailing list part of bitnet, which has many Universities as members,
and there appears to be some way that one of them could pick up the list
if they desired.

The newsgroup mirror of the mailing list appeared to be working as a
newsgroup only.  I stopped looking a while back.

The newsgroup is chartered as an official mirror of the mailing list,
and since the mailing list is no more, it is possible that the operators
of the bitnet news server could discontinue the news group at any time.

As near as I can tell, there is precedence for moving a mailing list off
of bitnet to a different set of hosts and maintaining the bitnet news
servers.

That would involve coordinating both with Princeton, which is still the
official owner of the suspended list, and then with the owner of the
bitnet news server.

Bitnet is not usenet, so the normal procedures for changing usenet
newsgroups does not apply.

-John
wb8tyw(at)qsl.network
Personal Opinion Only