[Coco] 6809EP - Worth it?

J.P. Samson coco+list at jeanpaulsamson.com
Mon Jan 18 20:08:12 EST 2010

On Jan. 18, 2010, at 5:51 PM, Andrew wrote:
> I was browsing around a favorite local electronics surplus haunt of
> mine, and found that they had a cache of MC6809EP processors, in
> tubes of 5 or 6. The condition of the parts looked NOS; but other
> than that, unknown.

I believe the CoCo used a 68B09E.  That 'B' indicates that it can
operate at speeds up to 2 MHz.  A 68A09 runs at 1.5 MHz.  A plain 6809
maxes out at 1 MHz.  I think the 'EP' refers to requiring an
'e'xternal clock and that it uses a 'p'lastic package.  So my concern
is that these chips you have found could not operate in the CoCo at
the speed required.

-- JP