[Coco] 6809EP - Worth it?

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Mon Jan 18 19:51:45 EST 2010

All,

I was browsing around a favorite local electronics surplus haunt of
mine, and found that they had a cache of MC6809EP processors, in tubes
of 5 or 6. The condition of the parts looked NOS; but other than that,
unknown.

I asked how much each, they told me $6.00 per chip. Are these of
interest to the CoCo community? Would they work in say a CoCo 1 or 2? Or
are they for a more generalized 6809 system? They also had tubes of the
6821 (PIA), but I didn't ask the price.

Then again, they quoted out cost per chip on tubes of ULN2803A @ $2.00
each (with a "price break" after 1000 to $1.50 each); looking that part
up online (high-power darlington array IC - 18 pin PDIP) I could find
them for under a buck each.

I guess what I am saying is that I think their pricing is suspect on
certain things, just like all surplus dealers...

What do you guys think?

-- Andrew L. Ayers, Glendale, Arizona