[Coco] .cas & .bin files with drivewire

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Sun Jan 17 13:02:03 EST 2010

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 09:24:48PM -0500, Robert Gault wrote:
> Jeremy Michea wrote:
>> I have a whole whack of .cas and .bin files on my PC that I'd like to use on a real coco but as far as I can tell, I can only use dsk files with drivewire. Is there a way to use cas and bin files directly with drivewire or is there a way to use an emulator to create a virtual dsk file out of these cas and bin files?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Jeremy
>>

> You don't want to do either. CAS files must be played out through the PC
> sound card into a tape recorder or directly into a Coco to use them on a
> real Coco. BIN files need to be placed on a .dsk image which could then
> be mounted in Drivewire.
> There are several support programs associated with various emulator
> packages to either play cas files directly or convert them to wav files.
> Similar programs will put files onto .dsk images.

True enough.  OTOH, it seems like a SMOP to make the DW server
automate the creation of a (possibly virtual) disk image containing
only a selected .BIN file.  An enhancement on top of that could be
translating the contents of a .CAS file to a .BIN or .BAS file (as
appropriate) for use with the previous suggestion.  Now, we just have
to wait for Aaron to get bored with his new BBS... :-)

John