[Coco] .cas & .bin files with drivewire

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jan 16 21:24:48 EST 2010

Jeremy Michea wrote:
> I have a whole whack of .cas and .bin files on my PC that I'd like to use on a real coco but as far as I can tell, I can only use dsk files with drivewire. Is there a way to use cas and bin files directly with drivewire or is there a way to use an emulator to create a virtual dsk file out of these cas and bin files?
>
> Thanks
> Jeremy

You don't want to do either. CAS files must be played out through the PC
sound card into a tape recorder or directly into a Coco to use them on a
real Coco. BIN files need to be placed on a .dsk image which could then
be mounted in Drivewire.
There are several support programs associated with various emulator
packages to either play cas files directly or convert them to wav files.
Similar programs will put files onto .dsk images.