[Coco] break command in OS9/NitrOS9

L. Curtis Boyle curtisboyle at sasktel.net
Sat Jan 16 00:54:11 EST 2010

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 21:32:41 -0600, Bob Devries <devries.bob at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Gene, you said:
>
>> There is "kill process number".  Do a procs to see which one you want to
>> kill, and use its number.  I don't think this is a chr$(3) though, so it
>> might not be what you want.
>
> The standard OS9 "kill" command sends a kill signal to the process. I
> want to send a break.
>
> I'll explain why.
>
> At the moment I've been helping Wayne trying to set up a Basic09
> programme to create multiple windows on the same screen. Occasionally, I
> do something wrong, and I lose the ability to "CLEAR" to the Basic09
> screen, and all I can do is kill the Basic09 Process, which gives me
> back the ability to "CLEAR" to the Basic09 screen, but unfortunately,
> Basic09 has stopped, and I'm at the command line on that screen. If I
> could just send a BREAK, then I would hope that Basic09 would just quit
> the programme that is running and return to it's own command prompt.
> That's the theory, anyhow.
>
> Regards, Bob Devries

If you are trying to get a window that has "disappeared" when using the
CLEAR key, you can try going to another shell and using DISPLAY 1b 21 >/w#
where # is the window # that you know that BASIC09 is running on. I used
to do this in earlier versions of Nitros9 (2.01 an earlier); don't know if
it still works in the 3.x series... but it might be worth a try.

--
L. Curtis Boyle