[Coco] break command in OS9/NitrOS9

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Jan 15 23:09:33 EST 2010

On Friday 15 January 2010, Bob Devries wrote:
>Gene, you said:
>> There is "kill process number".  Do a procs to see which one you want to
>> kill, and use its number.  I don't think this is a chr$(3) though, so it
>> might not be what you want.
>
>The standard OS9 "kill" command sends a kill signal to the process. I want
>to send a break.

I don't believe it sends it to the process, but to the os itself using the
SS.Kill call.  On receipt of that, os9 kills the errant process and cleans up
the resources it used so they are free for the next process that asks for
them.  The process itself never knows what hit it.  When the OS comes back
from an interrupt, it simply is no longer in the queue.  Rather
unceremonious, but very effective.  Linux, if a process is hung in a sleep
state, called a zombie, may have to actually do a reboot to clean up the
debris.

>I'll explain why.
>
>At the moment I've been helping Wayne trying to set up a Basic09 programme
>to create multiple windows on the same screen. Occasionally, I do something
>wrong, and I lose the ability to "CLEAR" to the Basic09 screen, and all I
>can do is kill the Basic09 Process, which gives me back the ability to
>"CLEAR" to the Basic09 screen, but unfortunately, Basic09 has stopped, and
>I'm at the command line on that screen. If I could just send a BREAK, then
> I would hope that Basic09 would just quit the programme that is running
> and return to it's own command prompt. That's the theory, anyhow.
>
>Regards, Bob Devries

I can see the advantages of that of course.  Is there an entry in the manuals
that there is a way to have it send a different character?  I'll have to
plead that I haven't looked to see if there any extra options to it.  And I
just checked the echo docs, and its purely text.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening.
		-- Alexander Woollcott