[Coco] break command in OS9/NitrOS9

Bob Devries devries.bob at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 22:32:41 EST 2010

Gene, you said:

> There is "kill process number".  Do a procs to see which one you want to
> kill, and use its number.  I don't think this is a chr$(3) though, so it
> might not be what you want.

The standard OS9 "kill" command sends a kill signal to the process. I want
to send a break.

I'll explain why.

At the moment I've been helping Wayne trying to set up a Basic09 programme
to create multiple windows on the same screen. Occasionally, I do something
wrong, and I lose the ability to "CLEAR" to the Basic09 screen, and all I
can do is kill the Basic09 Process, which gives me back the ability to
"CLEAR" to the Basic09 screen, but unfortunately, Basic09 has stopped, and
I'm at the command line on that screen. If I could just send a BREAK, then I
would hope that Basic09 would just quit the programme that is running and
return to it's own command prompt. That's the theory, anyhow.

Regards, Bob Devries

--
Besides a mathematical inclination, an exceptionally good mastery of one's
native tongue is the most vital asset of a competent programmer.

Edsger W.Dijkstra, 18 June 1975