[Coco] Coco > internet... OS9 vs NitrOs9

George Ramsower georgeramsower at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 22:46:08 EST 2010

 I'm an idiot on this.

 I don't understand why MWare OS9 and Nitros9 can't be used in the same way.

 In an earlier post "Coco on the internet - how do I do that?"...

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 10:52 AM, Sean <badfrog> wrote:
> There is another method that shouldn't rely on NitrOS9. Look into a
> device called a Lanronix, it converts serial to LAN, you telnet to the
> device and it passes through the serial. Unfortunately they are
> rather expensive.
>
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 12:19 AM, Aaron Wolfe <aawolfe> wrote:
>> Without NitrOS9 your options are a bit limited (only one line unless
>> you have multiple 6551s), but it can be done. You just need an
>> program like "Internet Modem"

 If I want to connect my coco to the internet, emulating multiple modems, why does it require Nitros9?

 I do understand that it will require a new driver for the serial port.

 Is the new <bit banger driver> written in such a way that it is not compatible with MW OS9?

 What elements of Nitros9 would be required if they were to be built into a MWare boot disk? (Frankinos9)
 Or.. does this require a new operating system(Nitros9)?

 BTW: I have a CC3 6809, 512k, with three 6551 com ports, an available bit banger and a SCSI drive. I don't know if that info helps or if there is not enough info.

 I like the idea of using the bit banger port. It would be a lot simpler than building a system using a "console server"(I'm not clear on how THAT works) and my existing com ports.
 The bit banger would serve my intentions well.

George(the idiot)