[Coco] Is there a way to import JPGs or BMPs to a CoCo picture file format that can be used in a program, game etc?

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jan 15 09:29:57 EST 2010

RJLCyberPunk wrote:
> I know there are viewers but are there applications that preferably can run on a PC and convert JPG,BMP etc files to a Coco picture file say a CoCo 3 picture file that one could then use in a program, game etc? If so please let me know where I can obtain or preferably download it from thanks...

Most PC graphic editors should be able to do what you want. You do need
to specify whether you intend to use an RGB monitor or artifact color on
an NTSC composite monitor. Conversion to an RGB Coco format is easy.
Conversion to the NTSC artifact modes is much more difficult but still
possible.

Here is one method. Convert your image to BMP format, reduce the size
and color count to 320x192x16 using Windows colors, invert the image,
and save it. Use a raw file editor to remove the BMP header. Now the
file can be loaded into HSCREEN2. You will need to adjust palette colors.

Go to Coco3.com and study the threads on the 640x4 artifact mode for a
method using NTSC monitors and artifact colors.