[Coco] Is there a way to import JPGs or BMPs to a CoCo picture file format that can be used in a program, game etc?

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Fri Jan 15 09:07:21 EST 2010

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 03:11:05AM -0400, RJLCyberPunk wrote:
> I know there are viewers but are there applications that preferably
> can run on a PC and convert JPG,BMP etc files to a Coco picture
> file say a CoCo 3 picture file that one could then use in a program,
> game etc? If so please let me know where I can obtain or preferably
> download it from thanks...

I have the code I used for my 256-color slideshow available (under GPL)
in a git tree here:

		git://git.infradead.org/users/linville/cc3slides256.git

It contains a script that relies on the use of ImageMagick's convert
utility to convert images to PPM format, and C source for a utility
to convert the PPM file to a raw bitmap screen dump.  It is calibrated
for 160x192 256-color images, but would be simple to modify for other
resolutions and could be massaged for other formats (e.g. VEF) without
a lot of fuss.  If you need a different resolution or format and
don't have the knowledge to modify the utility, I could be persuaded
to help with that too -- just ask!  The dithering is easy to turn-off
if that is desired too...

John