[Coco] Multi-Pak card edge connectors.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Jan 14 21:16:21 EST 2010

On Thursday 14 January 2010, Brian Blake wrote:
>Hi Phil,
>
>The link is below. I'm in the process of laying out a PCB in Express PCB
> (too lazy to wire-wrap...). I'll be putting it up on my blog and coco3.com
> when I'm done for everyone to review. I'm on my 3rd revision right now, so
> I can only imagine what the experienced guys here are going to say, lol...
>
>http://www.coco3.com/community/2009/10/color-computer-expansion-interface-c
>ustom-multi-pak-interface/

The first thing I note is that Tim assumes the U20 inputs will adequately
pull all the cart# signals high in the event there is no cartridge plugged
into a given slot.  This is hanging out a huge billboard sign inviting noise
problems in.

The 2nd thing is that for use with os9, he didn't bridge all the cartridge
connectors together at pin 8, effectively bypassing the logic that can block
the rs-232 packs IRQ assertions, which in turn leads to lost characters in
receiving data.  This particular fix is one of many that purports to fix
this, but if you analyze the logic, its the only method that makes sense.  An
IRQ assertion must be able to get through to the cpu, and be serviced in a
timely manner if lost characters are to be avoided.  When this is done, it is
common practice & recommended that 3 of the 4 pullup resistors the multipak
has in it, pulling each cart line up by itself, be removed, one pullup is
more than sufficient to achieve the goals of a solid logic one when no
cartridge is asserting its IRQ line.  IN the real MPI, leaving all 4 of them
in place when all 45 slots are bridged, also makes for a heavy job for the
individual cartridges IRQ driver when it does pull the IRQ down due to the 4x
as much loading when the pin  8's are all bridged together.

For all of the above reasons, there should be a 10k resistor connected
between the 5 volt line and one of the cart lines, and all 4 cart lines
should be connected together.  Very easily done if you know which end of a
soldering iron gets hot..

Under os9, the IRQ service routiine has no problem finding the real source of
an IRQ, usually in less than 15 microseconds, so there is no obvious
advantage to copying the MPI's original treatment, and several disadvantages
if it is duplicated.

I have not noted any problems from doing this mod when running rsdos in the
limited time I have run it.  That doesn't mean there might not be any because
I don't normally run DECB, I boot directly into Nitros9 here.

Also, using the S family of chips makes it very power hungry, and I don't
believe there is anything in this whole thing that cannot also be done with
the HCT chip family (<1% the power needed compared to S) unless that
particular function is not available in HCT, in which case I'd use the next
lowest power, probably the LS stuff.