[Coco] Shell and Applications in OS9Boot?

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Mon Jan 11 20:28:35 EST 2010

Robert Gault wrote:
> Joel Ewy wrote:
>>>
>> ***************************************
>> * NitrOS-9 Level 2 CoCo 3 Bootlist
>> *
>> * $Id: standard.bl,v 1.32 2009/03/07 23:53:36 boisy Exp $
>> *
>> * This bootlist is presented as an example for creating custom
>> bootfiles.
>> * A module may be excluded from the bootfile if an asterisk (*) is the
>> * first character of the line.
>> *
>> ***************************************
>> *
>> * DriveWire 3 driver
>> *../MODULES/RBF/rbdw3.dr
>> *../MODULES/RBF/dw3.sb
>> * DriveWire descriptors - select as needed
>> *../MODULES/RBF/ddx0.dd
>> *../MODULES/RBF/x0.dd
>> *../MODULES/RBF/x1.dd
>> *../MODULES/RBF/x2.dd
>> *../MODULES/RBF/x3.dd *
>
>> * Adding Shell and Application to
>> * OS9Boot to conserve RAM for 128K
>> * operation
>> /x3/cmds/shell
>> /x1/cmds/viewvef
>>

> Joel,
> There is a BIG problem with your boot file. You are asking for a
> Drivewire directory and probably a Drivewire boot but don't include
> any of the Drivewire support modules.
> You must remove the * from the required Drivewire modules.

The system I'm using to make the boot floppy is a drivewire system, but
the target is floppy only.  I specify the /x3/cmds and /x2/cmds paths in
the bootlist simply because the copies of the modules I want to build
into the target OS9Boot file are in those directories.  This should be
just like the other module specifications, such as
"../MODULES/RBF/x3.dd" except that I have given absolute rather than
relative path lists.

If this was a problem, I would expect the script to fail.  The script
does not fail, and it in fact builds a proper OS9Boot file on the disk,
including the shell from the /x3/cmds directory and viewvef from
/x2/cmds, but it fails to boot completely.

I'm going to look into Chris Hawks' suggestion that the OS9Boot file may
simply be too big.

JCE