[Coco] splitting the screen

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jan 5 23:32:19 EST 2010

Wayne Campbell wrote:
> Does anyone on the list understand OS-9 windowing enough to give me a clue as to how to split a screen? What I need is to be able to have everything the user types show up in one part, and all other output to the screen in the other, something liike this:
>
> +-----------------+
> |this is where all|
> |output goes      |
> |                 |
> +-----------------+<- what happens above does not go below this separator
> |user input here  |
> +-----------------+
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Wayne

You have not said whether your program will be in machine language, C,
Basic09, or something else. The commands will depend on the language but
the technique will be the same for all.

Aside from the distinction between graphic and text windows, there are
two types, a device window and an overlay window. The system commands to
create them are DWSet and OWSet. These commands can be used directly in
an ml program or indirectly via Display or DWSET in Basic09.

New windows can have paths opened for read, write, or update. Programs
running on one window can easily send or receive data from other windows.

This may not be all the information you want, but without a better idea
of what you want to achieve it is hard to write a demo.