[Coco] CoCoNet beta release

Christian Lesage hyperfrog at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 17:53:02 EST 2010

Roger Taylor wrote:

>> No ROM is needed. With just and 2 POKEs and 2 EXECs, I can make a
>> CoCo 3 DLOAD a program from a DLOAD server. The thing is, most of the
>> DLOAD code is still there. Only the first few bytes are missing, and
>> they are not that essential.
>
> I realize this since I've already fiddled with this stuff years ago,
> but it's too much work to ask someone to poke around to get something
> to work.  People will forget how to do it, especially the older we
> get.  :)
Well, this is your opinion, but I disagree with you. 2 POKEs and 2 EXECs
are just a few more characters to type in than DLOAD plus a filename.
One could put a sticker on his CoCo with the 40 some characters he needs
to type in. I do believe a lot of people will never order a new ROM for
their disk controller, a ROMPak or whatever extra hardware is needed to
get them started with DriveWire or CoCoNet. Some people don't even own a
disk controller with drives.

I agree with you that a ROM is more convenient, but please try to look
at this as an additional option for the folks that are not willing to
buy extra hardware. I'm not saying it's the only or the best way to go.

> The answer is a patched Disk BASIC ROM that brings the DLOAD command
> back.  DLOAD with no parameters could do what it does already on the
> CoCo 3, perform a warm start.  If a parameter is supplied, the comand
> could work like it did on the CoCo 2.

My opinion is that if you chose to buy and install a custom ROM, then
you don't really need DLOAD at all. I mean, if your custom ROM contains
DriveWire or CoCoNet, you already have access to virtual disk drives
served by the PC. Why would you need DLOAD on top of that?