[Coco] NitrOS-9 Cobbler Problems

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Sun Jan 3 23:08:08 EST 2010

Hey everybody,

I've been working on a demonstration of using 8-bit composite (NTSC)
artifact colors that I'd like to distribute as a 720K NitrOS-9 disk
image file, bootable over Drivewire 3.  (I may also make a version that
will boot from a regular 720K floppy.)  The slideshow is all ready to
go, but I'm having problems making a bootable disk image.

I started with a NitrOS-9 image file that, IIRC, was distributed with
Drivewire.  It is 'nos6809l2.dsk'.  I made some other disk image files
using the Toolshed tools (os9 format -ds -t80 diskname.dsk) and copied
my converted image files onto them, then loaded them up into the
Drivewire server.  No problem.

Then I made another blank image the same way, and immediately used
cobbler to put an OS9Boot file on the disk.  Doesn't cobbler add the
proper code to the boot track?  I copied a shell, merged with a few
utilities, grfdrv, and sysgo.  I tested it by hitting reset, and (after
I got all the appropriate files copied) it seemed to boot and run the
slideshow.

However it doesn't boot cold.  After typing 'DOS' HDB-DOS simply returns
to the 'OK' prompt.  So it seems as if the boot track is not being laid
down.  I tried 'os9gen -q=os9boot' and I tried deleting the OS9Boot file
and re-running cobbler, but neither of these things made any
difference.  What am I forgetting?

I'm almost done with this demo... So close...  Need to get some other
work done... :-)

JCE