[Coco] 720k sssd

Bob Devries devries.bob at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 00:34:03 EST 2010

You need to realise that the default for the Coco whether DECB or OS9 is
DOUBLE DENSITY (DD), not SD. SD was used mostly on the early TRS-80 Model 1.

Some versions of OS9 (but not the coco version) had track 0 in
single-density mode.

The density setting changes the rate at which the data is read and written.
In DD mode that rate is 250KB per second. In SD mode, it is less (128
KB/sec??), and for 3.5" 1.4MB disks it is 500 KB/sec. The density does not
set the actual amount of data, since you could specify a single sector per
track on a DD disk. The density does however set the upper limit of data
that can be written, since that is a function of time.

Regards, Bob Devries

--
Besides a mathematical inclination, an exceptionally good mastery of one's
native tongue is the most vital asset of a competent programmer.

Edsger W.Dijkstra, 18 June 1975