[Coco] DriveWire 4 beta

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 00:02:22 EST 2010

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 7:03 PM, Joel Ewy <jcewy at swbell.net> wrote:
> Aaron Wolfe wrote:
>>
>> Glad you got it working.  If you are using the version on the web
>> page, check for an updated file there later today.  We've made lots of
>> changes in the source since that was put together, need to get that
>> one current.  If you're building from CVS then you've probably got a
>> more recent version so no worries.
>>

> I just tried out beta 1.3 and the java server in Ubuntu 8.04.  It worked
> perfectly the first try (which, frankly, surprised me a little.)  I
> installed RXTX using Synaptic package manager, fired up the server with the
> default DriveWireServer.properties file, and booted NitrOS-9.  I was able to
> wget http://sites.google.com/site/drivewire4/beta.
>
> Rocks!
>
> One question:  what's become of the FTP client?  It would be very nice to be
> able to grab goodies straight off of RTSI or maltedmedia.com...

That's a good question.  If you've followed the progress of this
project from the beginning, you may remember that at one point in time
we had both an FTP client and an IRC chat client working in OS9.
However, both of these were "fake" in the sense that the CoCo was
acting only as a display, and the actual FTP/IRC protocols were being
handled in the DriveWire server.

At some point, we decided that rather than add extension after
extension to the DW server to support more and more protocols, we
would instead present a generic API that OS9 programs could use to
access lower level TCP connections.  Moving to this model means that
*any* type of client can be written in any OS9 language, opening the
door to lots of neat projects.  On the other hand, it means those
clients do have to be written :)

Writing an OS9 native client to work with the DW TCP/IP API is quite
simple, but some of the protocols used today are pretty complex to
implement.  Wayne Campbell has an IRC client written in Basic09 that's
pretty neat.  The telnet and wget utilities are written in ASM and are
pretty basic so far.

I will eventually start working on additional OS9 clients like FTP,
but right now the DW core is my main focus.  If someone else feels
like taking on these projects I would be happy to lend a hand.  We've
worked hard to make using the TCP API easy in ASM or higher level
languages, so it would be great to see some new things come from that.

-Aaron