[Coco] Null modem cables?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Feb 22 18:41:24 EST 2010

On Monday 22 February 2010, Darren A wrote:
>On 2/22/10, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
>> Greetings all;
>>
>> I am about to throw in the towel in making serial comm work between this
>> linx box and my rs-232 pack.

>If you haven't already, you should take a look at Sock's handshake
> solution:
>
> <http://www.axess.com/twilight/sock/rs232.html>
>
>Darren

I have Darren, freshly today, many thanks.  But my pack is stuffed because
the chips are stacked for 2 ports, and while that could be done, I'd have to
find other room in the pack for the extra chips, probably by ripping the
aztec inverter out completely, its disabled now IIRC, having decided to quit
generating the right voltages15 years back up the log.

Besides, that fix is for error free transmissions, and I'm working on the
receive stuff ATM.

I think I have a different solution worked out, utilizing RTS by disabling
the TxBE and RTS at the same time.  I think, what I'm getting ATM is a system
lockup, no irq's from anyplace are getting through after I've started a shell
on /t2&.  And since I can't get to another shell to run dmem, I can't see
what its doing, its just locked up tight.

I've about beat my head senseless & dumb on it today though, having made
about 30 boot disks without a real solution.  18:30 local time, beer thirty
and I'm my usual 2 a night behind.  Michelob Ultra of course since I'm
diabetic.

Looking at it one screen full at a time is a drag, so I'll print a listing of
what I have 1st thing tomorrow, much easier to trace branches if it is all on
hard copy.  I like to make markups, and since whiteout doesn't work very well
on fawncy LCD screens... ;-)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Wasn't there something about a PASCAL programmer knowing the value of
everything and the Wirth of nothing?