[Coco] ASM newbie question

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Feb 14 17:53:10 EST 2010

On Sunday 14 February 2010, Tim Fadden wrote:
>On 2/14/2010 3:17 PM, Tim Fadden wrote:
>> On 2/14/2010 3:02 PM, Tim Fadden wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am trying to assemble a program called cron_vE.asm.  On my first
>>> try it failed because it couldn't find  /dd/defs/os39defs.
>>>
>>> I assumed it was a typo, and changed it to os9defs.
>>>
>>> No I get---    Error: Symbol Table Full.
>>
>> OK, got past that one  with an asm #24k
>>
>> Now the result is the correct size, but get an error 211 (eof) with an
>> ident.  Time to look through the output listing.
>>
>> More to follow.
>
>Ok, Im guessing  some lib or header  is missing?
>
>Gt a few of these:
>

>00053   0100            equ   256
>00054   0026            AmprSand equ   38

Hummm, a 9 char label.  The assembly tools wont grok that, and it will be an
8 char name that is undefined.  Take out the lowercase a in that define, all
through the code so all labels match of course.

>00055
>***** Error: undefined name
>***** Error: undefined name
>00056 E 0000 87CDFFFF            mod   Eom,Name,TypLang,AtRv,Start,Size
>00057
>00058 D 0000            SysTime  rmb   7          system time, incl new
>SysWeek
>00059 D 0007            IsLeapYr rmb   flag       set if it's leap year
>.
>.
>.
>00088 D 0022            CronPID  rmb   byte       our process ID
>***** Error: undefined name
>00089 E 0023            ChildID  rmb   Byte       any childs id

Humm, that should be a size, and it should be a 1.  That might be a diff in
the assemblers where a 'byte' doesn't automatically translate to a 1 (or an
'int' to 2, same theory), so change the 'byte' to a 1.

>etc..
>.
>.
>.
>00012 error(s)
>00000 warning(s)
>$04A8 01192 program bytes generated
>$023D 00573 data bytes allocated
>
>Microware OS-9 Assembler RS Version 01.00.00    02/14/2010
>15:09:04            Page 015
>Cron - Task Scheduler Daemon, version E
>

>Is the undefined names "MaxBytes and AmprSand" from  the two lines
>before the error lines?

MaxBytes is 8 chars, and should be legal.  Perhaps the other errors are
confusing the assembler?

>thx again.
>
>>> This program has a script to merge the crontab-datammodule to the exe
>>> so that it can get its info from memory, instead of from disk.
>>> The archive already had an assembled cron_ve that works, so I can
>>> most likely get it working OK.  But would like to be able to assemble
>>> it myself.
>>> I can asm the datamodule just fine, but having problems with the exe
>>> file.  I don't mind working it out myself, but a few
>>> pointer-directions would be great!
>>> Im running Nitros9L2-6809, 030209
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Tim

I hope this helps Tim.  Its been ages since I did that in the very early days
of nitros9.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

<igor> Hah! we have 2 Johnie Ingrams in the channel :)
<igor> Hey all btw :)