[Coco] System gen problem - SOLVED!!

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Feb 13 00:19:17 EST 2010

On Friday 12 February 2010, Tim Fadden wrote:
>Aaron,
>
>I think I know what is happening, but I do not know why.
>
>Here is what I have observed so far:
>
>I used the nos96809l2v030209coco2_dw3.dsk
>
>dsaved the contents to my hard drive.  used save to add my specific
>drivers that are not supplied ie: scsisys
>
>I then edited the dw3.bl for my desired boot config.
>
>after many iterations, I have observed that the /d0/os9boot is  NEVER
>read! I made sure that I used the proper dd etc.
>Now, If I have drivewire running with a suitable disk image in /x0, the
>system will come up on the drive wire image.
>If drivewire is not running, the boot fails at the very begining. KREL
>boot KRN   t0 fails here.
>
>Here is the kicker.  I deleted the os9boot from the boot floppy  Same
>scenario!  drivewire server running it boots, not running fail.
>
>Whatever directs to the os9boot file ONLY points to the drivewire server
> x0.
>
>I don't know the exact internals going on, but perhaps this will give
>you a clue.
>
>Tim
>
>On 2/12/2010 9:09 AM, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 8:44 AM, Robert Gault<robert.gault at att.net>
wrote:

>>> Aaron,
>>> I just tested the current rbdw3.dr and dw3.sb for DW3 Level2 6309 as
>>> created from the cvs source code and from the url given in your message.
>>> Unfortunately they don't work on my system. Nothing gets through to the
>>> DW3 server.
>>>
>>> I'm assuming you tested them so there must be some system dependent
>>> problem not easy to spot.
>>> Robert
>>
>> As I sit here pondering, I had some thoughts and questions..
>>
>> Are you using the exact disks I put on the sourceforge site, i.e.
>> booting from DriveWire?  Or are you taking the drivers and making your
>> own disk, to boot from some other hardware?
>>
>> If you're making your own disk, are you putting the drivers on a disk
>> with old NitrOS9, or are you also using the version of NitrOS-9 from
>> the disks I made (or from recent CVS)?
>> What is the version number?
>>
>> Could you describe the other drivers used in your system, or post a
>> bootlist?  I wonder if you and Steven have some 3rd party hardware in
>> common?
>>
>> Could you send me the output of the "devs" command from your system?
>>
>> If you have time to think about this and help troubleshoot, great,
>> otherwise I'm sure this will sort itself out eventually as things tend
>> to do :)
>>
>> -Aaron

That I am fairly sure, is the choice made by the particular 'boot' module you
install on track 34.  If you are using the dw3 version, then it will read
track 34 and immediately go to the dw server for the rest of it.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Why is it that we rejoice at a birth and grieve at a funeral?  It is because
we
are not the person involved.