[Coco] System gen problem - SOLVED!!

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Fri Feb 12 21:23:18 EST 2010

Aaron Wolfe wrote:

> As I sit here pondering, I had some thoughts and questions..
>
> Are you using the exact disks I put on the sourceforge site, i.e.
> booting from DriveWire?  Or are you taking the drivers and making your
> own disk, to boot from some other hardware?

I was making my own boot disk using your rbdw3.dr and dw3.sb from the NitrOS-9
Modules/RBF directory. I boot from my scsi hard drive which has a Disk Basic
disk section hosting an OS-9 boot disk.

> If you're making your own disk, are you putting the drivers on a disk
> with old NitrOS9, or are you also using the version of NitrOS-9 from
> the disks I made (or from recent CVS)?
> What is the version number?

That appears to have been the problem. I was using your new drivers with my
current version of NitrOS-9, but it was a 3.2.9 version. I don't know which cvs
revision and can't tell at this time as the source code is now current.

However, using your disk to create a new boot disk but adding my drivers for a
scsi hard disk system, Drivewire now works. So, there was some subtle difference
in the NitrOS-9 versions that prevented changing just the rbdw3 and dw3 from
being successful.

> Could you describe the other drivers used in your system, or post a
> bootlist?  I wonder if you and Steven have some 3rd party hardware in
> common?

Steve uses different drivers for his hard disk system. But that is not relevant.
It was the cvs revision number that was critical for me. Steve was, I think,
originally using what probably were DW4 drivers with a DW3 server.

> Could you send me the output of the "devs" command from your system?

It is probably not relevant since the problem is solved but here it is.
Device table at: 5D00
Name  Port   Driver   Mem   F Manager
DD   07FF74  Hdisk    5B00   RBF
H0   07FF74  Hdisk    5B00   RBF
H2   07FF74  Hdisk    5B00   RBF
vh0  07FF74  vdisk    4A00   RBF
vh1  07FF74  vdisk    4A00   RBF
Term 07FFA0  VTIO     5A00   SCF
X0   070000  rbdw3    5000   RBF

> If you have time to think about this and help troubleshoot, great,
> otherwise I'm sure this will sort itself out eventually as things tend
> to do :)
>
> -Aaron

To summarize, the system now works using your disk to create the new boot disk.
I did have to add my own scsi drivers.