[Coco] Off Topic-Electronic Magazine

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Thu Feb 11 21:47:11 EST 2010

Note - this goes really OT; I apologize, but I couldn't resist...

I've subscribed to Nuts and Volts since 1992, and Servo since it began
(actually started out as an "extra" Robotics magazine given to surprised
N & V subscribers).

A couple of days ago I sent in for a subscription to Make (picked up a
copy for an obscene price, and I enjoyed reading it); the subscription
will be much cheaper.

The thing nowadays that everyone and their brother seems to be getting
into (whether they realize it or not) is "Open Source Hardware"; it
started a while back, but picked up steam with the introduction of this
little number (which is how I started to get involved):

	http://www.arduino.cc/

This eventually led to this:

	http://www.reprap.org/bin/view/Main/WebHome

And this:

	http://store.makerbot.com/

And recently this:

	http://www.contraptor.org/

Which got some inspiration in this old idea (which should be something
to buy at Lowes or Home Depot, but other than in steel, no dice!):

	http://www.gridbeamers.com/
	http://gridbeam.biz/

Finally (?) there is this:

	http://fritzing.org/

All of this - free, open source, pick-it-up-and-make-it-your-own! The
RepRap is one of the more amazing pieces; it is already at the point of
building some of its own components (including building the components
for the next iteration, called Mendel - RepRap v1 was Darwin):

	http://reprap.org/bin/view/Main/RepRapTwoMendel

It is being envisioned using Mendel (or a future version) to have
tool-change capabilities, plus pick-n-place for parts (smt PCB reflow?).

On top of all this is of course Instructables and other similar sites;
this is really an exciting time to see and be around for! I was thinking
earlier today how this is all just a progression; the Color Computer and
that time period of 1970-1990 was a time of ordinary people getting
their programming chops, and ultimately spawning open-source software.
Eventually, open-source hardware was envisioned, then desktop and
homebrew CNC, and now homebrew desktop rapid prototyping and 3D
printing. Eventually we'll see homebrew desktop SMT PCB manufacturing
(there have always been an element of homebrew in PCB making).

I honestly think a revolution in hardware is coming our way; I am not
sure what form it will take ultimately (just like nobody could see where
desktop publishing was really going in the 1980's), but it is a very
interesting time to be a part of, nonetheless!

-- Andrew L. Ayers, Glendale, Arizona