[Coco] LCD TV with CoCo 3

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Wed Feb 10 18:21:27 EST 2010

Composite input should be good for games, but that's going to be about all. 64 column screen is the best you can do. LCDs don't do artifact colors very well, same as RGB monitors.

Cheapest thing is to get the tuner someone mentioned and use the cable input. You can still get a cable to RCA adapter at RS and plug into the CoCo that way, use the cable input on the tuner, then go to the monitor. You can get used LCD monitors for under $100. http://www.surpluscomputers.com/featured-hardware/cg-5/monitors.html. Going through the tuner will be the same as a composite monitor, so 80 column text is out -- limit of 64 column. Might be good enough for games though.

The local CVS Pharmacy has Craig 13" and 15" LCD TVs on sale for $99-$129. That's as cheap as it gets! Couldn't find any good specs on-line. Don't have a source, but found these Coby LCD TVs listed for under $150 that have VGA and even HDMI inputs: http://www4.shopping.com/-craig+hdtv+lcd+15+inch+tv. Shouldn't be hard to find a seller. Some complaints like poor speakers, but nothing about the picture.