[Coco] System gen problem

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 18:10:34 EST 2010

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010, Boisy G. Pitre wrote:

>>> You will not want to use the DW modules from CVS unless you also are
>>> using DriveWire server from the DW CVS (the new Java version of the
>>> server).  The new DW drivers will not work with any of the old DW
>>> server versions (the individual linux/mac/win type).
>>
>> Ok, thanks for the warning.
>
> Steve,
>
> FYI, I have just updated the SOURCE of the three platforms (win, linux &
> mac) to accommodate the OP_VPORT_READ command.  It just responds with
> two zeros and doesn't support any of the virtual port features of
> DriveWire 4.  I don't know what server you're using, but if it's the
> Linux one, you should be able to CVS update and recompile then use the
> new drivers.
>
> Again, this is untested.

I had a chance to rebuild the server and nitros9 using the latest CVS
sources.  I generated a system using the DW drivers from the latter and
tried a bunch of things.  Not cooperating, I'm afraid.

As always, I can boot from the server using the HDB ROM, but
cannot generate a system that can use the hard disk AND access DW.
Failure mode now is a pretty, multicolored screen instead of a simple hang
:-)

I suppose it's worth asking.  Has anyone reading this been able to
generate a nitros9 boot file that:

(a) Boots from a floppy
(b) Uses an attached hard drive as the default disk
and
(c) Is also able to access DW volumes?

The DW driver seems very uncooperative in situations where it's not the
default drive.  But, again, maybe it's just me!

It will be interesting to figure out what's up.  Robert Gault had
volunteered to take a look at an image of the boot diskette and I'm going
to take him up on that (thanks Robert).

Steve