[Coco] OT Problems with Windows Mail on Vista

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Feb 9 15:15:27 EST 2010

On Tuesday 09 February 2010, Stephen H. Fischer wrote:
> [...]
Not to my knowledge, Stephen.  That I would think, is a local attribute to
your machine as there is not such a marker line in the headers that I know
about.  That of course means I'm way out on that limb and sawing furiously on
it. ;-)

>My inbox is clean now the "[CoCo]" subfolder is no longer under "Inbox".
>
>And the "[CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts]" folder has ~ 14
>messages.
>
>I want to compact the folders but that option is missing. I may have to
> wait until the counter triggers it.

That also is not under my control here, but I do see a msg in the status bar
that it successfully compacted this or that folder.  However if I should
forget to stop kmail before I reboot, which the stopping commits the new db
to the HD, then any unread mails I have read since the last reboot are
magically recovered, so I do have a recovery mechanism of sorts.
I can also use the left-right arrow keys to read fwd or backwards thru the
folder regardless on the read/unread status, and the folders contents pane
shows all messages with bold & color attributes to show messages read,
messages replied to, yadda yadda.  A deleted message isn't truly gone till
kmail has been shut down cleanly, and restarted.

I have some folders set for lowered message lifetimes, usually the 100's of
messages a day folders like lkml, so they get expired fairly rapidly, as
little as 2 weeks, but some lists are not expired at all, the inbox, and this
coco list are complete except for spam leakage that has been deleted, since
the last major drive failure that caught me without a valid backup, and that
was in 2002, 8 years ago.  I have amanda setup to do her thing nightly, using
another 1Tb drive dedicated as 30 virtual tapes.  I get a full level 0 backup
of everything on this box, plus pieces of my milling machines Kubuntu-6.06
LTS box out in the shop at some point in a 4 day cycle.  Amanda's automatic
scheduler tries to equalize the 'tape' usage by shuffling the schedule so
that each nights run uses a similar amount of 'tape'.  And it actually works
quite well at that if the default tape size setting is small enough to force
the issue.  One, really big disklist entry can muck that up though, and does
here somewhat as my /usr/movies directory is about 31Gb.  I have a Sony
TVR-460 Handi-cam that generates about 100Gb an hour.  Raw files, but they
compress well, a 22 minute wedding can be shrunk to less than 350 megabytes &
fits on a VCD nicely, and it still plays back at 720x480 on this 1680x1250
monitor.

But this is getting OT rapidly...  And amanda commercial yet. ;)

[...]

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)