[Coco] System gen problem

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 07:43:47 EST 2010

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010, Aaron Wolfe wrote:

>>> Something to test: If you have the drivewire server running and the
>>> serial cable connected, you should see an OP_RESET when you press the
>>> reset button on your Coco.  this doesn't require any software/drivers
>>> on the coco, so it's a good way to make sure the cabling and server
>>> settings (bps, model, etc) are all OK.
>>
>> I am not seeing an OP_RESET.  It shows UNKNOWN(248), but not every time.
>>

> 248 is equivalent to OP_RESET, recognition of this is added in our new
> version.  Not sure why you don't always see it, but sounds like things
> are OK then.

Stranger and stranger all the time.  I went right back to basics and tried
building a basic kernel that supports only the floppy drives (/d0==/dd)
and the drivewire drives (/x0 and /x1) using the 'mb' script on the
drivewire example image from Cloud9.  Doesn't work.

To recap:  Using the Cloud9 HDB ROM, I can boot directly from a DW server
running on Linux.  Everything operates correctly.  Any and all attempts at
building a system that boots _elsewhere_ (even one where /x0==/dd!) under
the standard ROM yet recognizes the DW volume(s) has failed.

The server appears to see a reset from the CoCo, but other than that -
nothing.  When I try to access /x0 from the CoCo, it hangs.

What on earth am I doing wrong?  I have no trouble generating systems,
some quite complex, that support all the rest of my hardware!

Steve